I had the pleasure of attending the fourth annual Revive Your Style fashion show yesterday, in support of Bust a Move Ottawa and the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation for Breast Health. The event was put together by renowned (and uber charming) Canadian stylist, Erica Wark.
Putting together a suitably chic and affordable outfit for an afternoon fashion show in the middle of a frigid Canadian winter can be challenging. But having watched Erica’s segment on how to wear winter whites on Ottawa’s CTV Morning Live early that week, I had a clear vision for my outfit style: snow princess chic.
Erica wowed the crowd by trotting out designer runway trends from spring 2015 collections, but from ridiculously affordable and accessible retailers, like H&M, Express, Joe Fresh, Winners, and Zara, to name a few.
Not only was my style on trend (ahem, head-to-toe blush, thank you very much), but my sensibilities were as well. Most of Erica’s pieces were priced under $40, occasionally paired with a higher-ticket item. The effect? Super stylish outfits that won’t bounce your rent cheque.
Here’s how I put together my high-end fashion look on a shoestring budget:
- Vintage white mink fur stole: $125 from defunct Montreal company, J. Richier Inc., purchased at the Ottawa Vintage Fashion Show years ago.
- Dress: $20 blush-coloured dress from Sirens (it’s a cheap dress and, predictably, very sheer, so I paired it with the next item).
- Slip: $50 nude slip from Calvin Klein (a nude slip is a fantastic investment to pull off cheap, trendy dresses that may happen to be see-through).
- Shoes: $60 from Aldo Shoes (Nyderrarien in Bone Misc.), normally retail for $120, but I got them 50% off in the January sales.
Takeaways from dressing for a winter fashion show?
- Pair inexpensive, core pieces with higher-end accessories.
- Wear your winter whites with nude or light-coloured neutrals.
- January is best month to score major designer deals.
Take a look at Erica’s picks for Spring 2015 Runway Trends: Florals, Denims, Creams, and 70’s chic, oh my!
What do you think of Erica’s styling for spring 2015? Leave a comment below or send me an email.
Shout out to my fashionista friend, Chantal Sarkisian from Go-to Girl, for inviting me to this fab event.
Don’t forget to sign up to follow my blog via email and share this post with your friends!
À la prochaine!